Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Twitter Tombstones

I joined twitter. When I created my account, I was encouraged to start following 10 people immediately, so that I would begin to have the ultimate Twitter experience. I tried to think of all of my favorite authors, speakers, anyone that might have something interesting or meaningful to say other than, "my socks are blue" or "I just wiped a booger on my sister". As I was searching,  I got distracted by all of the options twitter gave me for people I might want to follow based on the two people I had already begun following.  What I noticed was the personal description of each person or "tweeter", if you will. When you sign up, you write a blurb about who you are and that becomes the summary of you and your twitter existence. As I kept reading these mini bios, they started sounding like epitaphs on a tombstone. Once that point of view set in, that was the only way I could read each person's account of themselves. I began to size of each person's life based on their twitter mini bio.  A lot of them were tombstone worthy (much better than 2 dates separated by a dash); any family member of the said deceased person would have felt a joy and thankfulness for knowing their loved one. Some however, were just depressing. One guy's read "bored all the time". I will not be following him; he needs to get a life.

Below are some of my twitter mini bio finds. There are friends, strangers, and famous people. As I share, I'm going to be thinking about what I want my twitter bio and my tombstone to read.  Would your mini bio be an accurate representation of your life?



Max Lucado: Minister. Author. Husband. Dad. Counting on heaven to make sense of this earth.


Derek Webb: singer/songwriter/producer/remixer/agitator

Jeff Probst: Survivor, Live For The Moment

Josh Melton: Entrepeneur with a daydreaming problem. I own an office cleaning co. & insurance agency; My wife & I have a really cute baby boy. I love my family & community.

Erwin Mcmanus: L A is home. Mosaic my tribe. Temple Bags our fashion Co. Boy and Rocket our Production Co. Awaken Humanity our gift. Kim, Aaron, Mariah, Patti- my family

Andrew Peterson: Singer/Songwriter/Author/Maker of Fine Soups

David Baddiel: Jew

Jenny McCarthy: Mommy warrior and cellulite killer.


Tiffany Forrester: Graphic Designer, Student, Jesus follower, Music Lover. Generally crafty.

Jenny S: i'm a lovely young lady with a flare for the retarded side of life. i can promise to almost never hurt your feelings. i like to go swimming!


Lindsey G: Clay in the Potter’s hands. RN. Southeastern University Grad Student. Wife. Sister. Daughter. Granddaughter. Longleaf's Groups Director & Sable's Best Friend.

Dan Harmon: Low ranking dealer of mass opiate for West Coast Peacocks. Distribution rating: 1.9. Weakness: unbelievable back acne

Shane Sullards: I dream big

Bobbi Newman: Professionally passionate about the digital divide, transliteracy, libraries & tech issues. Personally on a never-ending quest for the perfect pair of shoes. 





 

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl, Love the post. I dont really get into twitter either. I've tried twice and I guess it's just not my thing....yet. :0) I would LOVE for you to meet Clover! She is the sweetest thing. I hope you're new puppy is just like her! I can't wait to see what you get! About the knitting, I learned to knit in college. I was the TA for organic chemistry and my org professor was a knitter. She taught me how to knit initially and even gave me a scarf and circular knitting needles for graduation. Everything I've learned since then has been from youtube. Check out knit witch on youtube. She gives really good demonstrations and you can really see what she is doing and how she does it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't completely get twitter either. but i really like it. I've discovered a ton of blogs and craziness.

    I thought I wouldn't care or be into some of the things people post, but I found it fascinating that alphabet letter magnets and reese cup wrapper fell out of derek webb's guitar. just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Lindsey! I honestly had never thought of my Twitter Bio as an epitaph of sorts and now I am wondering if I ought to rethink mine! I will remember this post every time I read someone's bio for the first time now. I am still anxiously awaiting yours...

    ReplyDelete