Friday, July 1, 2011

Mother of Exiles

I recently took a trip to New York City and realized that one of our nations most famous monuments bears a striking resemblance to Jesus. 





Our famous Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island struck a particular chord with me. The welcome mats of America. They welcomed the tired, weary, worn out, dejected souls from around the world and offered a new life of freedom and hope here in America. These brave and weary travelers were on a quest for freedom and the sight of Lady Liberty was the first glimpse of hope for a new life in a new land.


Emma Lazarus said it best when she wrote this poem about the Statue of Liberty. I have to wonder, was her inspiration Jesus himself


Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"



"Come to me , all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus



No comments:

Post a Comment